These are movies that are important to finance culture or have some interesting finance content. Plenty of other movies take place around finance but have little relevant content.
- Betting on Zero (2016) Documentary about Bill Ackman shorting stock in Herbalife for Pershing Square.
- The Big Short (2015) Entertaining take on the mortgage crisis
- Margin Call (2011) Fictional story about an investment bank that begins a financial crisis
- Too Big to Fail (2011) Glossy and overly simplistic look at the 2008 bailouts
- Inside Job (2010) Documentary covering many aspects of the 2008 financial crisis
- Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005) Documentary about the fall of energy trading firm Enron
- Boiler Room (2000) Portrays a “pump-and-dump” brokerage firm
- Rogue Trader (1999) Based on the true story of Nick Leeson who brought down Barings Bank
- Other People’s Money (1991) Comedy about a corporate raid in the 1980’s
- Wall Street (1987) Portrays insider trading and corporate takeover; includes the famous “Greed is Good” speech
- Trading Places (1983) classic comedy that involves futures trading on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- American Factory (2019) Documentary about a Chinese firm that purchases and operates a glass factory in Ohio